July 4, 2010

Declaration, revisited...

Curious, how many of you have actually read the Declaration of Independence?
Well, because I'm such a history geek and I LOVE AMERICA, I'd like to present some extracts from the Decleration of Independence and how they just as relevant today:

[ "He has forbidden his Governors to pass Laws of immediate and pressing importance, unless suspended in their operation till his Assent should be obtained; and when so suspended, he has utterly neglected to attend to them. He has refused to pass other Laws for the accommodation of large districts of people, unless those people would relinquish the right of Representation in the Legislature, a right inestimable to them and formidable to tyrants only." ]

---I dunno. I read that and hear “veto proof majority.” Just me I guess.

[ "He has called together legislative bodies at places unusual, uncomfortable, and distant from the depository of their public Records, for the sole purpose of fatiguing them into compliance with his measures." ]

--- Gee, I read that and I remember all those laws that are passed in the middle of the night without any real debate that will affect your future.

[ "He has obstructed the Administration of Justice, by refusing his Assent to Laws for establishing Judiciary powers." ]

--- This one is ridiculously easy – see Fred’s last post.

[ "He has combined with others to subject us to a jurisdiction foreign to our constitution, and unacknowledged by our laws; giving his Assent to their Acts of pretended Legislation" ]

---Foreign to our Constitution. Go figure.

Now I know that some lefties will argue that "Bush did it too", but wake up people.
THIS is who is doing it now.
Happy Independence Day, everyone.
Today, please remember what got you here and the U.S. soldiers that keep you free.
God Bless America.


Real Debate said...

I heard this on NPR while I was driving. Came upon it before I knew exactly what it was and thought "Gee, that sounds just like what we have today." and then realized it was the Declaration of Independence and the tyrant being talked about was the king of England.Now we just have different tyrants, and the one we have in office presently is the worst so far.

Isn't it interesting how all revolutions end up in a circle? It just took us a little longer, but we seem to be back at square one, and now I wonder why all those lives were lost in the fight for our freedoms just so we can be back at square one. So sad!

Thank you for posting this still Unreal. It seems to me that our educational system needs to go back to teaching basic civics classes----and FAST.

Real Debate said...

Curious, how many of you have actually read the Declaration of Independence?

I strongly suggest those of you who haven't do so before the few words that are still somewhat legible fade into nothingness.

As for the relevancy, I refer you to last Sunday's Day by Day cartoon.

One more thing - welcome back to the land of the blogging, Unreal one.

Real Debate said...

I have read it, but do not remember a lot of it... The revolutionary time period did not interest me much during school...