Who Am I - Casting Crowns
July 19, 2008
July 18, 2008
"It pointed out that the only way we have a chance to drive down oil prices is if we become free of the slavery of oil. If we can give Americans choices of electrical cars or ... biodiesel cars, then and only then do we have a chance of dealing with this cost issue. That is why $4-a-gallon gas is not an enemy of action, it's an ally of action."
So here we have it, Democrats happy at the suffering of the American people because they can use that pain to push a radical agenda.
Only this time, one of them actually admitted it.
July 17, 2008
Is one of the official markers of Old Age when you decide that everyone around you needs to be straightened out?
I ask this because since hitting my mid 40's, I've found myself less and less tolerant of ineptitude. Not like I wouldn't get offended by some offensive person or ticked off at stupidity in my earlier life, but for some reason I didn't feel compelled to tell them what I thought they should do to "fix themselves." In fact, I was quite the opposite.
As a young girl, we'd visit my grandma in Wauwatosa for a week every summer. We had the same routine upon arrival: visit Kohl's grocery store, buy those little mini-juglets of artificially colored juice, get strawberries from the Fruit Market, and head off to the Milwaukee County Zoo. This was a big event for us, since we were from Illinois and never visited a zoo except when we came "up north." Grandma had a habit of yelling at checkout girls who weren't fast enough, didn't bag the groceries just right, sighing/choking when the girl dared to ask for an i.d. with her check, and was too rough with the "strawbreez." My sister and I would shrink back a customer or two, pretending that we'd never seen this crazy blue-haired woman with the powdered white face and crimson-cracked lips. I didn't understand why she wouldn't just let it go.
Until now. I find it difficult to have patience with the young kids working at grocery stores, fast food drive-thrus, and the most recent addition: the pool store. This latest addition brings me to my Frustration of the Day. I walked into said-local-pool-store ( which I will not name, but there aren't that many around...) in need of 2 cases of Shock. For you non-pool owners (lucky that you are) that's 8 gallons of liquid chlorine meant to shock both the scary green/yellow slime off the sides of your liner, make the dead frogs in your skimmer basket bloat to the size of a softball, and of course to splash up on your brand new capri pants and take the color right out of them.
Upon entering the establishment, this ace-employee behind the counter decided to slowly raise his apparently too-heavy head and mutter the word "'s up?" Yes, that's appparently an abbreviation for an already abbreviated "What's Up?"
I don't know about you, but in my job experiences from the time I was 15, I was never taught to greet a customer in this manner. The Young Cathy would have just let it go and politely asked for help buying 2 cases of Shock. But not the Older Cathy. (note: I didn't say "Old Cathy", I said "Older." There's a difference.) Older Cathy decides to go off on this kid and say, "'S UP?!" "What the hell is that?" He replies, "Wha?" I then confront him on the fact that he must have heard me, unless the the tangled mop on his head is interfering with both his vision and his hearing. "Who in the world trained you to speak to customers this way?" It was meant rhetorically, since clearly this is a kid who had no training--ever--whether in school or in life. Common courtesy and manners demonstrated to this lad by his parents would have given him enough tools to understand how disrespectful this is, right?
Through the haze in his eyes--eyes visible only after he tossed his head back in a classic Narly Dude fashion--I connected. I'd like to think he had an epiphany that moment, understanding that if he ever wanted to move up from behind the desk in the pool supply store to perhaps the drive-thru window somewhere, he'd need to make a change.
He quietly rang up my purchase, listening to me give him ideas on all the other greetings he could use in the future. He then got off the stool (!), came around the counter and began carrying the two boxes out to my car. (A job made all the more difficult by needing to use one of his hands to keep his pants up--another pet peeve of mine.) "Wow!" I thought. Now here's that initiative I was lecturing him about, and continued to do out to the car. He smiled politely at me, said "you're welcome" to my "thank you" and I went on my way.
I'd like to think he was grateful for my taking an interest in the betterment of his life. Perhaps he said something outrageously polite to the next customer, like "Can I help you?" According to my husband, I'm being too optimistic. Most likely he rolled his eyes all the way back inside the store thinking, "The only thing she was missing was the blue hair and more wrinkles."
He's probably right....it's hell to get old--for everyone else around me that is.
If this is what change is....
July 16, 2008
Blue Collar Muse has more.
July 15, 2008
July 14, 2008
Here are the next few parts. I apologize for being so bad about posting them, but just getting them up on my blog is herculean. I'm on vacation here!
On this day, I skipped lunch and it warped my world view.
The next day my children learned about dino-sized disappointment.
Come with my family to a very special swimming pool, where we learn about families that just don't work.
And the interminable drive to the Grand Canyon.
Coming up tomorrow: the Canyon itself!
[ SAN DIEGO (Reuters) - Republican presidential hopeful John McCain defended himself on Monday against charges from Democrat Barack Obama that he adopted a more aggressive stance against illegal immigration for political purposes. ]
I mean seriously...."for political purposes??!!?"
What has Obama done that hasn't been for political purposes?
The church he joined? The homes he bought?
When communities are terrorized by ICE immigration raids?
Senator those ICE raids are enforcing the LAWS of this country.
If you don't like those laws introduce a bill to change them; you are a Senator aren't you?
How dare you claim these hard working legal men and women trying to enforce our laws are commiting an act of terror on ILLEGAL FREAKING ALIENS.
This guy disgusts me.
Here's what he thinks. For those of you who can't bear to read this epic-length document, here are a few of our favorite Conspiracy Theorist's musings:
1. Man will someday colonize the Moon, and life will be found somewhere else in the universe.
2. The Catholic Church will eventually canonize Galileo Galilei
3. Supercomputers will determine that the Ramsey number R(6,6) = 117. Current scholarship places the value of R(6,6) to be between 102 and 165, inclusive. (What the @$**?)
Wow, and I was worried about balancing my checkbook today. Guess I'm not as "learned up" as our esteemed Professor.....
Fox 6 shined the light on what was really going on.
I can't eat tater tots without becoming aroused. Plebian.
You. Can. Not. Make. This. Stuff. Up Lance.
But if I bought a Mac, I would have to grow one of those goofy pony tails and stuff... Patrick.
every time McCain says "my friends" everybody takes a shot. Josh.
Anything is possible if you don’t know what you are talkingabout. Silent E.
The traditional name for our first child shall be Iron Liver. Jib.
geeze - could the guy make up his mind? Marge.
Mouse of the beholder. Dustbury.
I still need brain bleach. Heather.
You listenin' hog? Still Unreal.
The sausage has been chosen. Foot.
where else is it socially acceptable to run down the streets drunk with a crowd of people in the middle of the night screaming and yelling? Nick. (Detroit?)
Aw, mom! Not again! Jimi.
See what you find when you look for dates on the internet. Boyd
I couldn't hear you over the noise of the vacuum cleaner. Gopgal.
It can't all be about aliens landing. Cathy
i'm thinking October baseball. Debra. (nice thought)
I see the Cubs in the World Series in '08. 1908, that is. MPP.
the thought of Favre playing for the Vikings, Bears, or Cowboys causes my digestive system to seize up in ways I only thought possible after insulting the chef at an offshore Thai restaraunt Lance.
Time to get the broom, the duct tape and the shotgun! James.
Can I get a water on the rocks? iJustine.
you gotta admire a person cool enough not to care how goofy they look. Jon.
Wicked is such a useful word. Alison.
Losing 1/2 of stock value in a week isn't much of a bail out. Sean.
It's been confirmed - tequila leads to air guitar Ms Ally.
Don't Sing it....bring it! Pete.
Time to have fun with ropes and harnesses. Nick.
I do like cutting stuff up. TAB.
What do we still own?
July 13, 2008
1963 Communist Goals
The following was entered into the Congressional record by Albert Herlong, Jr. (a Floridian who served in Congress from 1949-69) in 1963.
1) US acceptance of coexistence as the only alternative to atomic war
2) US willingness to capitulate in preference to engaging in atomic war
3) Develop the illusion that total disarmament by the US would be a demonstration of "moral strength"
4) Permit free trade between all nations regardless of Communist affiliation and regardless of whether or not items could be used for war.
5) Extension of long term loans to Russia and Soviet Satellites
6) Provide American aid to all nations regardless of Communist domination
7) Grant recognition of Red China, and admission of Red China to the UN.
8) Set up East and West Germany as separate states in spite of Khrushchev's promise in 1955 to settle the Germany question by free elections under supervision of the UN
9) Prolong the conferences to ban atomic tests because the US has agreed to suspend tests as long as negotiations are in progress
10) Allow all Soviet Satellites individual representation in the UN
11) Promote the UN as the only hope for mankind. If its charter is rewritten, demand that it be set up as a one world government with its own independent armed forces. (Some Communist leaders believe the world can be taken over as easily by the UN as by Moscow. Sometimes these two centers compete with each other as they are now doing in the Congo)
12) Resist any attempt to outlaw the Communist Party
13) Do away with loyalty oaths
14) Continue giving Russia access to the US Patent Office
15) Capture one or both of the political parties in the US (Mission accomplished)
16) Use technical decisions of the courts to weaken basic American institutions, by claiming their activities violate civil rights.
17) Get control of the schools. Use them as transmission belts for Socialism, and current Communist propaganda. Soften the curriculum. Get control of teachers associations. Put the party line in text books.
18) Gain control of all student newspapers
19) Use student riots to foment public protests against programs or organizations which are under Communist attack.
20) Infiltrate the press. Get control of book review assignments, editorial writing, policy-making positions.
21) Gain control of key positions in radio, TV & motion pictures.
22) Continue discrediting American culture by degrading all form of artistic expression. An American Communist cell was told to "eliminate all good sculpture from parks and buildings", substitute shapeless, awkward, and meaningless forms.
23) Control art critics and directors of art museums. " Our plan is to promote ugliness, repulsive, meaningless art".
24) Eliminate all laws governing obscenity by calling them "censorship" and a violation of free speech and free press.
25) Break down cultural standards of morality by promoting pornography, and obscenity in books, magazines, motion pictures, radio and TV.
26) Present Homosexuality, degeneracy, and promiscuity as "normal, natural, and healthy".
27) Infiltrate the churches and replace revealed religion with "social" religion. Discredit the Bible and emphasize the need for intellectual maturity, which does not need a "religious crutch"
28) Eliminate prayer or any phase of religious expression in the schools on the grounds that it violates the principle of "separation of church and state"
29) Discredit the American Constitution by calling it inadequate, old fashioned, out of step with modern needs, a hindrance to cooperation between nations on a worldwide basis.
30) Discredit the American founding fathers. Present them as selfish aristocrats who had no concern for the "common man".
31) Belittle all forms of American culture and discourage the teaching of American history on the ground that it was only a minor part of "the big picture:" Give more emphasis to Russian history since the Communists took over.
32) Support any socialist movement to give centralized control over any part of the culture - - education, social agencies, welfare programs, mental health clinics, etc.
33) Eliminate all laws or procedures, which interfere with the operation of the Communist apparatus.
34) Eliminate the House Committee on Un-American Activities.
35) Discredit and eventually dismantle the FBI
36) Infiltrate and gain control of more unions.
37) Infiltrate and gain control of big business
38) Transfer some of the powers of arrest from the police to social agencies. Treat all behavioral problems as psychiatric disorders which no one but psychiatrists can understand or treat.
39) Dominate the psychiatric profession and use mental health laws as a means of gaining coercive control over those who oppose Communist goals.
40) Discredit the family as an institution. Encourage promiscuity and easy divorce.
41) Emphasize the need to raise children away from the negative influence of parents. Attribute prejudices, mental blocks and retarding of children to suppressive influence of parents.
42) Create the impression that violence and insurrection are legitimate aspects of the American tradition; that students and special interest groups should rise up and make a "united force" to solve economic, political, or social problems.
43) Overthrow all colonial governments before native populations are ready for self-government.
44) Internationalize the Panama Canal.
45) Repeal the Connally Reservation so the US can not prevent the World Court from seizing jurisdiction over domestic problems. Give the World Court jurisdiction over domestic problems. Give the World Court jurisdiction over nations and individuals alike.